Faculty Mentor Spotlight: Marcus J. Carlson

January 29, 2024

We think relationships are an important aspect of education. That’s why we work with mentor teams, cohorts, and partner organizations. To help you get to know the people who are part of the Kairos community, we spotlight partners, faculty, alumni, students, staff, and board members from time to time. Today we are looking at one of our faculty

Name: Marcus J. Carlson

Location: Auburn, IN

Role within Kairos: Affiliate Professor, Faculty Mentor, and member of the Faculty Mentor Support Team

Education: Master of Arts in Theology; DMin focused on change leadership, post-misconduct church ministry and adolescent development; BA Youth Ministries with minors in leadership, theology, and psychology

Teaching and Research Interests: Church health, leader health, church revitalization, and change leadership

How to connect with Marcus: mcarlson@kairos.edu

We asked Marcus a few questions to learn a bit more about him. Here’s what we discovered.

Why are you engaged in the work of theological education?
Theology is at the center of ministry, our interaction with others, the world and our relationship with Jesus. Pouring into current and future church and community leaders is a deep passion of mine. Theological education can be a great tool in discipleship, by transformation in and through Jesus. Ultimately, theological education can help each of us look more like Jesus as we seek to help others look like Jesus as well.

When you are teaching or working as a faculty mentor, what kinds of questions lead the way?
-What will help this student look more like Jesus?
-What will help this student experience transformation?
-What will help this student better use their gifts and live out their calling?
-What will best help bring about the Kingdom of God in and through this student?
-What does growth look like right now for this student?

What rhythms do you like to follow?
I am a creature of habit but get bored easily so rhythm is always a tension and a gift. Over the years, I have developed a variety of spiritual, emotional, intellectual, relational, vocational, and physical rhythms that never seem to perfectly come together but enable me to find lasting and transformational health so I can fully live out my identity and calling in Jesus.

When you are not teaching, mentoring, or engaged in some other aspect of your work with Kairos, where might we find you?
I joke that I am octo-vocational and so work keeps me busy. When not working, time with family, travel, all things Disney, playing with my various guy toys (smoker, Blackstone, drone, dogs, etc.) is how I have fun. In the good weather months, you are likely to find me on my pool deck. In the bad weather months, you are likely to find me in my recliner. This is, of course, when I am not traveling, which may be as little as 1/3 of the time or as much as 2/3 of the time in any given month.

Here’s a photo that Marcus shared with us:

all stories