Faculty Mentor Spotlight: Steffen Schulte

February 5, 2024

We think relationships are an important aspect of education. That’s why we work with mentor teams, cohorts, and partner organizations. To help you get to know the people who are part of the Kairos community, we spotlight partners, faculty, alumni, students, staff, and board members from time to time. Today we are looking at one of our faculty

Name: Steffen Schulte

Location: Wölmersen, Germany

Role within Kairos: Affiliate Professor; Faculty Mentor; Rector of the Integrated Partner: Rhineland School of Theology

Education: I started with a computer degree (Information-technischer Assistant) and did some work with databased-webpages prior to the Google/Amazon/Facebook age. Realizing the short shelf-life of computer knowledge I transitioned to theology. Nothing really gets outdated in theology. Over time it just moves departments and becomes part of church history 😊. My formal theological training was in Germany, South Africa and Canada: Bachelor of Arts in Christian education (Northwest University); Master of Arts in Applied Theology (Regent College); Doctor of Theology in Missiology (Unisa)

Teaching and Research Interests: Preaching, Church Revitalization, Spirituality, Technology, Theological Education … I like to dive into new areas all the time.

How to connect with Steffen: steffen.schulte@tsr.de

We asked Steffen a few questions to learn a bit more about him. Here’s what we discovered.

Why are you engaged in the work of theological education?
I got into theological education because I was curious, and I hope that is still what drives me. I think theology – good theology – is of the utmost importance! We hurt ourselves and others when we think wrongly about who God is, who we are and what it means to follow him. I also consider it a great privilege and joy to journey alongside people as they try to figure out what following Jesus looks like for them. The last couple of years I have discovered in me a growing passion to think strategically and more generally on how we do theological education.

When you are teaching or working as a faculty mentor, what kinds of questions lead the way?
I sometimes wish I was one of the people that have these clear approaches and structure in all that they do. My work/life feels messy or to frame it more positively: fluid. It seems I have a hard time doing something the same way twice when it comes to cooking or mentoring. However, I do usually start with trying to figure out what God is doing in the life of the mentee and to what outcome that could fit. I also try to figure out how they work best and how I can support them best. I also like to get a good understanding of their passion. For me the mentoring team is more like a learning community where one person (the student) sets the agenda but also has to do more work.

What rhythms do you like to follow?
I like to start my day with black coffee, scripture (at the moment I listen to a lectio divina app), and journaling. Then I usually do some fitness training while listening to a podcast (at the moment it’s becoming.new from John Ortberg). If I am not travelling, I am usually home for lunch with my family, and we play a game afterwards. Once a week I have a date-breakfast with my wife. Fridays we have Family Movie Night. Saturdays I try to have a Sabbath, but I am still trying to figure out what that looks like for me.

I also love to travel. Work usually brings me to Indonesia, Canada, and the US once a year. Being a “third culture kid,” travel has something therapeutic and spiritual for me. I am not sure if this qualifies as a rhythm, but it is something that does me well and I miss it if I can’t travel.

When you are not teaching, mentoring, or engaged in some other aspect of your work with Kairos, where might we find you?
Obviously traveling. I also enjoy mountain biking, but the kind where you don’t feel like you could die any moment (unlike President Henson 😊). Currently I am also enjoying rewatching old Star Trek episodes – by old I mean TNG and DS9.

I’m an elder at our church but also preach regularly at other churches. And most importantly, I enjoy sharing terrible Dad jokes with my two teenage daughters (and believing that they secretly enjoy them).

Here’s a photo that Steffen shared with us:

all stories